This chapter describes how to upgrade nopCommerce to the latest version. You might want to do this because you've seen a message at the nopCommerce news section of your dashboard telling you that a new release is available. nopCommerce doesn't support automatic upgrades, you have to do it manually.
Since version 4.40 we don't use SQL upgrade scripts anymore. The upgrade is performed automatically with migrations (during the first application start). So when you upgrade from 4.30 to 4.40 you need to skip step 2 from the list below!
Follow the next steps:
- Make a backup of everything on your site, including the database. This is extremely important so that you can roll back to a running site no matter what happens during migration.
- [To upgrade to nopCommerce 4.30 and below] Then you have to execute SQL upgrade scripts. You have to execute them stepwise. For example, if your current version is 3.90 and the latest available version is 4.20, then you have to upgrade to 4.00, then to 4.10, and then to 4.20. So download the required upgrade scripts from the download nopCommerce page. Once an upgrade script is downloaded, execute it over your database.
Don't forget to read the
Readme.txt file provided with the upgrade script. Sometimes it contains important notes regarding upgrading to the newest version.
- Remove all files from the previous version except JSON files in the 'App_Data' directory such as
plugins.json. These files should be saved since we will use them later. For earlier versions: if such files as
InstalledPlugins.txtexist save them as well.
- Upload the new site files (get the latest version here).
- Ensure that everything is OK.
As you deploy, make sure that the target
appsettings.json is updated as per the latest nopCommerce version so that the production site continues to point to the production database. In earlier nopCommerce versions it can be
Settings.txt files. Also, make sure that the
InstalledPlugins.txt) file is also updated per the latest nopCommerce version.
If you're upgrading nopCommerce to version 4.50 from one of the previous versions, please ensure that your connection string contains one of the following parameters:
TrustServerCertificate=True (depending on your server requirements). You can manually add these parameters to your connection string in the \App_Data\appsettings.json file. This step is caused by the
Microsoft.Data.SqlClient library that changed the default value of the
Encrypt option from
If you stored your pictures on the file system, then also backup them (
\wwwroot\Images\) and copy back after the upgrade.
(upgrading from 3.X to 4.X): If you want to upgrade from a version 3.90 to the latest version, you would need to install 4.00 first (over the existing database), run the 3.90 to 4.00 migration SQL script, and then upgrade to 4.10, 4.20, and further.
If you experience problems after the upgrade, you can always restore your backup and replace the files with ones from your previous version. You can always post a question on our forums.
If when doing advanced search on our forums you cannot find what you need, then try a Google search focused into nopCommerce site: [your search words site:nopcommerce.com].