This chapter describes how to upgrade nopCommerce to the latest version. You might want to do this because you've seen a message at the nopCommerce news section of your dashboard telling you that a new release is available. nopCommerce doesn’t support automatic upgrades, you have to do it manually. Follow the next steps:
- Get the latest nopCommerce package.
- Make a backup of everything in your site, including the database. This is extremely important so that you can roll back to a running site no matter what happens during migration.
- You have to upgrade stepwise. For example, if your current version is 2.00 and the latest available version is 2.30, then you have to upgrade to 2.10, then to 2.20, and then to 2.30. So download the required upgrade scripts from our Downloads page.
- Once an upgrade script is downloaded, execute it over your database.
- Remove all files from the previous version. As you deploy, make sure that the target App_Data\Settings.txt and App_Data\InstalledPlugins.txt files aren't overwritten, so that the production site continues to point to the production database.
- Upload the new site files
- Copy back Settings.txt and InstalledPlugins.txt files into App_Data directory
- Ensure that everything is OK
Note: As you deploy, make sure that the target Settings.txt and InstalledPlugins.txt files aren't overwritten, so that the production site continues to point to the production database.
Note: If you stored your pictures on the file system, then also backup them (\Content\Images\) and copy back after upgrade.
Note (upgrading from 1.X to 2.X): If you want to upgrade from a version 1.90 to the latest version, you would need to install 2.00 first (over the existing database), run the 1.90 to 2.00 migration SQL script, and then upgrade to 2.10, 2.20, 2.30, etc
If you experience problems after the upgrade, you can always restore your backup and replace the files with ones from your previous version. You can always post a question on our forums.
Note: If when doing advanced search you cannot find what you need, then try a Google search focused into nopCommerce site: [your search words site:nopcommerce.com]